Fungus Mungus' Weird Stuff in Japan

A chronicle of general weirdness I've encountered during my stay in Japan.

Friday, March 31, 2006

Would-be thief breaks into Sumo House


Yes, there are stupid people in Japan too. Here's proof:

On March 31, at 2:35 am, would-be thief Konoshin Kawabata broke into a temple. He failed to notice the notice posted on the temple door indicating that it was being used as a sumo training facilty. When he entered the temple, he awoke the slumbering wrestlers in the neighboring room. The lights came on and 48-year-old Kawabata found himself encircled by 20 sumo wrestlers. After 35-year-old Dewanosato applied one of his Sumo "waza" (techniques), disabling Mr. Kawabata, another sumo called the police.

Dewanosato had a 2-win/5-loss record. This morning marked his 3rd win.

If you can read Japanese, you can see the original story here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, this could be entertaining... how about a game show where skinny martial arts-types go up against sumo guys: no holds barred?

...better yet, add a regulation-height basketball hoop (of appropriate girth), and if the sumo guy is able to make the basket with the skinny guy, he wins!

Look, a 3-pointer!

m-

9:18 AM  
Blogger A.R.Yngve said...

It could've been worse... he could have broken into a house full of ninjas.
;-P

4:01 AM  
Blogger Ewerthon Tobace said...

Hi there!
I found your blog throw a blogfriend. And I loved it. I have a blog in portuguese that I "colect" the best posts on the net. I would like to know if you mind if I publish one of yours. My propose is helping some blogs to increase the numbers of readers.
I indicate the link and the author, dont worry.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

This seems like potential for a good hidden camera show. Someone tries to commit a crime when suddenly angry sumo wrestlers appear on all sides.

On another note, I just found your blog through StumbleUpon.

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home